Sights

Municipal Theater Apollon

A historical building of 1872 designed by the German architect Ernst Ziller. It is a small scale duplication of Scala di Milano and the oldest preserved closed theater of modern times. It has a capacity of 250 seats and is the main performance stage of the Regional Patras Municipal Theater.

Georgiou A’ Square, 17, Phone: +30 2610 273613

Cathedral of Saint Andrew

The biggest church in Greece, approximately 2000 sq. m. with a capacity of 8000 people. It was founded in 1908 but was completed many decades later due to financial setbacks. The interior is adorned with acclaimed mosaics, a central wooden-carved chandelier and marble floor with depictions made by hagiographer J. Caroussos.

Old Church of Saint Andrew

It was built between 1836-1843 on the spot where Saint Andrew was martyred. It was designed as a three-aisled basilica by the architect L. Kaftantzoglou and its interior hagiographies are regarded as examples of rare aesthetics based on the style of the Heptanese School. Most of the hagiographies are works of the great Constantinopolitan writer and hagiographer D. Byzantiou.

Patras Castle

It is located on a low hill of Panachaikos mountain and is considered as one of the main regional head-castles of the Peloponnese. It was built during the reign of Justinian, ca. 551 A.D. for military and defense purposes. Presently functions as an archaeological site.

For more information: E’ Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities, Phone: +30 2610-623390

Press Museum

It was founded in 1956, by the Union of Journalists of Daily Newspapers of the Peloponnese-Epirus-Islands. Its mission is to acquire and preserve newspapers, magazines, manuscripts and other publications as an indispensable source of information regarding the history of Greece. Part of the exhibits include newspapers dating from 1815, magazines dating from 1852, calendars and rare editions, as well as historical artifacts from the Revolution of 1821. 

200, Maizonos Str., Phone: +30 2610-310488

Mycenaean Settlement of Voundeni

Considered one of the most important regional settlements of the Mycenaean world, it is located 4,5 km east of Patras (area of Sichaina). The scientific excavations made in the settlement and the cemetery proved that life in the settlement endured for almost five hundred years (1500-1000 B.C.)

ST’ Ephorate of Prehistoric & Classic Antiquities, Phone: +30 2610-459254

New Archaeological Museum

Housed in a modern conception and design building at the northern entrance of the city. It has three thematic exhibits modules from Patras, the region and the West in general Achaia, while covering the whole range of antiquity from 3000 BC to the 4th century. ADIt is housed in a modern building located at the northern city entrance. Its exhibition items cover the period between 3000 B.C. up to 4th century A.D. and were discovered at the archaeological excavations in the wider area of Patras and Western Achaia.

New National Road Patras – Athens 38-40, Phone: +30 2610-420645

Achaia Clauss Wine Castle

It is the first Greek winery built in 1861 by the Bavarian Clauss, who introduced to Greece the financial and cultural concept of “wine château”. It operates unceasingly since its inception and besides being a winery it is a tourism destination for oenophiles, gourmet connoisseurs, researchers, outdoor activities fans and other tourists. The traditional “mavrodaphne” wine is offered as a welcoming drink.

Petroto, 8 km from Patras, Phone: +30 2610-580101

Roman Amphitheatre of Patras

Situated nearby the Roman Odeon, it is a sizeable amphitheatric structure which is thought to have served in ancient times as the city’s stadium. It was built during the reign of Domitian (1st century A.D.) and is believed to have been a gift to the city for the centennial birthday anniversary as a colony.

Roman Aqueduct of Patras

A vital structure in Roman times as it provided the water supply of the city. It is located at the Samakia quarters and was built in the 2nd century A.D. probably by the Emperor Hadrian. It was operating until 1874 when pipes finally replaced the long lasted mission of the Aqueduct.

Roman Odeum of Patras

It is located west of the Acropolis at the Ano Poli (Upper City) and is considered to be older than the Herodotus Odeon in Athens. Its renovation was completed in 1956 when it acquired its former appearance; it preserves all the basic parts of a theater and has a capacity of 2300 people. It serves as the main venue of the International Festival of Patras.

Paleon Patron Germanou & Sotiriadi Str., Phone: +30 2610-223587

Roman Bridge of Patras

A double-arched bridge on the Kallinikos River, a characteristic example of the Roman era and a unique structure of its kind in the wider area. It served as part of Via Militariam linking Patras and Aigio.

Aretha & Papadiamandi Str., next to the New National Road

Hammam

Thermo Spa built in the 17th century during the Venetian domination and later preserved by the Ottomans. Considered the oldest operating Thermo Spa and the only one in Europe that welcomes both men and women. 

29, Bakaouri Str., Phone: +30 2610-274267

Pigi Dimities

The contemporary well of Saint Andrews, next to the Old Church. In ancient rimes it was the ‘Source’ of Goddess Demeter where she operated an oracle for the sick. The area of the oracle was the place Apostle Andrew preached the new religion.

Church of Saint Andrew, Phone: +30 2610-371143